Senior Project Day 3

 Wednesday, May 10th - Today’s Hours: 4 hours - Total Hours: 12 hours and 20 minutes


Day 3 of my senior project was very productive. I arrived at Martin Field at 8 am ready to start my work for the day: spreading more Pea Stone and A LOT of weeding. Yesterday I only got to spreading Pea Stone in 2 out of the 4 dugouts at Martin Park, so today I tackled the last two dugouts. These dugouts are larger than the other field so I used 4 bags of stone in each dugout area rather than only 2. The spreading of Pea Stone is crucial to dugouts at Martin Field because there are very bad drainage issues after rain and the stone helps prevent major flooding in the dugouts. I am confident that my contributions to the dugouts will help make the fields easier to play on after rain storms. The process of spreading the remainder of the Pea Stone took me 1 hour to complete. Next, there was a lot of grass that was starting to grow underneath the benches so I cleaned this up in each of the 4 dugouts; this process took about 30 minutes. Now I focused on weeding the outfields of both Martin Field 1 and Martin Field 2. There was a large number of dandelions taking up both outfields, so it took me 2 hours to do some real damage weeding. It was important for me to do this weeding because playing in the outfield with so much in the way can be dangerous, especially for young kids who aren’t as aware of their surroundings. My mentor came to visit me at the field after I was done weeding and we discussed and planned my plans for the rest of the week, this planning took 30 minutes. We talked about my original goals and whether they would be achievable in the time that we have, one of these goals was repainting the dugouts at one of the fields. This plan was not sustainable, so we decided that this week I am going to spray paint labels on each of the field’s dugouts. Both fields at Martin are labeled “Martin Field 1” and “Martin Field 2” on pieces of paper nailed to the dugout wall, this is not a very permanent method of identifying both fields. So, instead of having to print new pieces of paper each year, the fields will now be labeled with paint. I am very excited to get started on this new part of my project!  In total today, I spent 4 hours working on my project.
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Senior Project Day 7

Senior Project Day 12

Senior Project Day 13