Senior Project Day 7

 Day 7 Blog - Monday 5/15

Written at 1:15 pm


The second week of senior project is off to a great start! My plan for today was to start my spray painting work on the dugouts at Martin Field, however, I received a text from a member of the NH Lightning Softball board asking if I could do a few things to help set up the batting cage they are building. This batting double batting cage was supposed to be up a few weeks ago, however, it has been delayed by the rain we have gotten these past few weeks. I said yes because I know how beneficial it will be for youth players to have these batting cages before the end of the spring rec season. Today I was asked to help prepare the concrete that is going to be put in the cardboard tubes that I transported last week. This meant sorting through the 30-ish long metal poles that are laying out near one of the storage sheds. These poles come in 3 different sizes and I was asked to organize them by size and then carry 10 of them over to the site of the batting cage construction. The organization and transportation of these poles was a pretty long one, taking me 2 hours. 

After this, I decided to find the defibrillator that I had mentioned in my blog post on Saturday. I had to look through the 3 different storage sheds at Martin to find the defibrillator because of course it was located in the third storage shed that I looked through. The defibrillator ended up being charged and ready for use, so I brought it to the most central storage shed and put it next to the First Aid Kit that I assembled last week. This search took me an hour due to the extremely disorganized sheds that I dug through. Along the way, I spent time trying to do some organizing to make it easier for people to find what they are looking for if they need to end up going in one of the sheds. 

I spent that last hour of my day doing more field maintenance, cleaning up dugouts, some infield weeding, and raking the fields. I noticed that after a weekend full of practices and games the fields are not left in great condition. I expect that my prior claim to be done with landscaping work was wrong because there is always more work to be done at softball fields! 

My plan for tomorrow is to purchase the equipment to spray paint the labels on Martin 1 and 2 and possibly get started doing this. This weekend I was asked to do more with setting up the batting cages at Martin as it is extremely difficult to get busy parent volunteers to help with this. I am looking forward to moving forward with this new aspect of my project as the week goes on. 


Today’s Hours: 8:30-12:30 (4 hours) 

Project Total: 28 hours and 20 minutes



(the metal poles before being organized and carried to the batting cage site)


Comments

  1. Katie, you are doing incredible work! Such a giver! I'm so glad you are enjoying this time to give back to a community that has given you so much! Well done! Keep going strong!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Senior Project Day 12

Senior Project Day 13