Senior Project Day 6

Day 6 Blog - 5/13

Posted at 2:30 pm 


Day 6 had more of a different start than I was expecting. I was planning on purchasing materials for my spray painting project today but didn’t feel fully prepared yet. I wanted to do a bit more research on what I needed to buy rather than the research that I did yesterday on the process of spray painting. I started around 8:00 am and ended up doing an hour and a half of watching videos and reading articles. As I mentioned in my blog post yesterday I am really nervous about spray painting the dugouts because I have never done something like this before and it will be difficult to fix if I mess up. I want to make sure that I am completely knowledgeable in this field before I start the actual painting. 

Next, I wasn’t quite sure what to do with the rest of my time, so I started to practice making stencils on white printer paper. There are 12 overall different characters that need stencils so I had to practice tracing the letters and numbers here. I am not an artistic person by any means, so it took me a long time to do all 12 stencils to my liking. This practice stencil-making process took me around an hour and a half as well.

Since there are youth softball games being played at Martin all throughout the morning on Saturdays, I decided to do all of my work at home. Today was a good day for researching and planning. The next project that I am planning on tackling after I do the spray painting is finding the defibrillator and charging it. When I emailed the coaches yesterday notifying them that I made a first aid kit I got a response asking if I could look for and charge the defibrillator that is supposed to be at Martin. There are three extremely cluttered storage sheds, so I assume it got lost in that mess. I had to first look up what a defibrillator is because I had no idea, once I learned that they are medical emergency devices that restore normal heartbeat I realized how important is that I find this device. I did about 30 minutes of research on how to charge a defibrillator. 

I spent the last 30 minutes of my workday communicating with local coaches and offering my coaching or umpiring help. I spoke with my mentor and we decided that in addition to helping out at fields, it would do the community better if I volunteered to help with local youth teams. Today I spoke to a coach of a “development” softball team of girls ages 10-14 who didn’t make their school teams and still want a chance to be on a team. She coaches this team of 10 girls alone and is having trouble keeping them engaged and is looking for help coaching. I agreed to go to a few of their practices to help spread the love of the game to these young girls. 

Overall, I think that today was very successful. I am now feeling very confident in my next few projects for next week. Doing research always helps ease my nerves about tackling a new goal. I am excited to purchase and possibly start my spray paint project on Monday morning!


Hours Today: 4

Project Total: 24 hours and 20 minutes





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Senior Project Day 7

Senior Project Day 12

Senior Project Day 13